[SEL] Curved spokes ...engine rotation

Dave Croft dave.croft at ntlworld.com
Wed May 24 10:54:40 PDT 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rob Skinner" <rskinner at rustyiron.com>
To: "'The SEL email discussion list'" <sel at lists.stationary-engine.com>
Sent: Wednesday, May 24, 2006 4:47 PM
Subject: RE: [SEL] Curved spokes ...engine rotation

Big Snip>
> Go right now to wherever you left your engine, and check the
> spoke tension of your right wheel by plinking the spokes
> with a sledge hammer and listening to the tone. You'll
> probably find that the right side spokes are at the right
> tone, but that the left spokes will be less melodious. When
> you plunk the left spokes you'll notice that the pitch of
> the plunk is considerably lower than that of the right
> spokes. Why is this?

Hi Rob, I will get down to the engine shed & "plink" the spokes of
all my Right flywheels immediately with the sledgehammer.
Why live a boring life with no sense of adventure!
PS Why do you have to "Plink" the right flywheel & "plunk" the left one.
PPS Would a Lump hammer be suitable for the lower tone of the left hand wheel.
Thanks for your excellent advice.
Dave Croft
Warrington
http://oldengine.org/members/croft/homepage