[SEL] Curved spokes ...engine rotation

Rob Skinner rskinner at rustyiron.com
Tue May 23 19:19:29 PDT 2006

> Another question is why did the majority of British
> makers use curved and the Majority of US use straight
> Cannot be that the poms could not cast straight spokes
> without cracking, I think it was all about "that is
> the way we did it for steam" and it looks better.
> Whats you thoughts

Hi Kerry,
If you look at other design features, Yanks were looking to
shave pennies off the price.  It seems that a straight spoke
pattern is not only easier to make, but the resulting
flywheel uses less material.

Functionally, they are the same, but the British did seem to
go a little further in trying to make an aesthetically
pleasing product as well as a showcase for their
workmanship.

Rob