[SEL] OT- But mechanic tip

jbcast at charter.net jbcast at charter.net
Mon May 22 15:59:27 PDT 2006

> As per the mechanic guy, we used Loc-tite on the bolt and Roger stood
> on the brake and I used the break-over with a cheater and got it as
> tight as I could (I've got the sore muscles to prove it!).  It didn't
> fly apart on the way to work this morning so hopefully it's tight enough!

Harmonic balancers should be torqued to specs, locktite will keep the bolt from unscrewing but does nothing to keep the pulley from waddling out. The key is only for indexing, the bolt and washer captures everything and makes it as one when properly tightened. On a manual trans you can put it in overdrive and hold the brake, on an auto you can put air in the cylinder.
J.B.Castagnos