[SEL] Wolseley Type "R"

edd payne edsingns at winsoft.net.au
Sun May 21 20:09:27 PDT 2006

Well.How about all the farm machinery the has unmachined cast gears and some
engines also.These last a long time ,some I have seen are 100 years old and
still going.Try the gears on most traction engines, steam rollers and many
old tractors these are not machined.The Otto langdon engine in the Sydney
power house museum has hand cut gears.You can still see the centre pop marks
and scriber marks from the marking out after 100 plus years and they are a
work of art done by a very skilled tradesman.A local bloke hand cut a gear
for a 3hp M IHC mag  and it will outlast any of us and runs with no noise.
EDD PAYNE
PO BOX 364 GULGONG
New South Wales  AUSTRALIA 2852
0263742387