[SEL] Wolseley Type "R"

Jim and Diane jd.kirkes at verizon.net
Sun May 21 19:34:32 PDT 2006

Hi Orrin,

It could also be why the original gear failed.  I don't care how good
somebody is with a file, it is just not possible to get a good enough tooth
form to have a long life.

Jim

Jim and Diane Kirkes
Hemet, CA , U.S.A.
jd.kirkes at verizon.net

Quite off topic, but very interesting is the first half of the paragraph:

"It was at this meeting that I saw a large bearded mechanic, who was with
one of the French entrants, take a stripped timing wheel, mark out the teeth
on a steel disc or blank he had got from Nice and then, filing throughout
the night, he formed all the teeth for a new camshaft gear which he fitted
to his engine in time for a race the next day."

Anyone with a familiarity of machine shop work will say that is a remarkable
achievement!

Orrin

Orrin Iseminger
Colton, Washington, USA