[SEL] power saw speed

bill at antique-engines.com bill at antique-engines.com
Thu May 11 11:44:14 PDT 2006

Aha - you thought I should preface it with OT, eh?
Well, it's not quite OT, because it involves engines.

I recently picked up a smaller version of the massive drawcut hacksaw I
already have. It's the little brother, I think a 12" cut, definitely
smaller.
It's still got intact the clutch pulley and auto-disengage lever, although
it needs some repair and tweeking.
It's been converted to electric, but they left the clutch pulley and
mechanism all in place.
What I'm wondering is this - can I pulley this up to a small engine, like
a 1.5 or 2hp and run it at a decent slow speed - has anyone done this?
Do I need to do some fancy math?
Or was this meant for a lineshaft? And if so, what was the typical
lineshaft speed?
I think it would be a cool display at a show.

Bill
Runnells, IA
"Windy town"