[SEL] IHC M 3 HP Status

FRM8198 at aol.com FRM8198 at aol.com
Sun May 7 15:36:09 PDT 2006

Hi List,
Well, it happened today.  The IHC M came to life after  being dead and stuck
for many unknown years.  You guys are correct.  A  running M is something to
hear.
Not everything worked as originally planned.  I tried using  a barbeque
ignitor with an adapter.  However, this modified barbeque  ignition system wouldn't
function properly when the engine was turning.   Back to the drawing board
for a new design.  Since I was interested in  getting the engine started
quickly, I decided to go with a buzz ignition  system.  A buzz coil triggering
mechanism was built, fitted to  the cam, and tested with the buzz coil.
I did turn the engine (for about 15 minutes) with an electric motor  before
applying power to the buzz coil.  This action helped get the rings  seated.
Turning the engine, for this little time, sure helped.  You  can really feel the
compression when turning the flywheel by  hand.
I originally fabricated the spark plug adapter using  dimensions sent to me
by other M owner.  Needless to say, it didn't  fit.  I had to machine the
outside of the adapter until it would fit the  inside of the ignitor hole.
I want to thank members of the list that provide me with  information.  It is
great to have people who are willing to share  their information and
experience.

Francis  Maciel
Santa Maria,  CA

-------------------------------1147041369

<HTML><HEAD>
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2900.2873" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
Arial"=20
e_document=20
face=3DArial color=3D#000000 size=3D2>
<DIV> =20
<DIV><STRONG>Hi List,</STRONG></DIV>
<DIV><STRONG>Well, it happened today.  The IHC M came to life afte=
r=20
being dead and stuck for many unknown years.  You guys are correct.&nbs=
p; A=20
running M is something to hear.</STRONG></DIV>
<DIV><STRONG>Not everything worked as originally planned.  I tried usin=
g=20
a barbeque ignitor with an adapter.  However, this modified barbeq=
ue=20
ignition system wouldn't function properly when the engine was turning.&nbsp=
;=20
Back to the drawing board for a new design.  Since I was interested in=20
getting the engine started quickly, I decided to go with a buzz ignition=20
system.  A buzz coil triggering mechanism was built, fitted t=
o=20
the cam, and tested with the buzz coil.</STRONG></DIV>
<DIV><STRONG>I did turn the engine (for about 15 minutes) with an electric m=
otor=20
before applying power to the buzz coil.  This action helped get the rin=
gs=20
seated.  Turning the engine, for this little time, sure helped.  Y=
ou=20
can really feel the compression when turning the flywheel by=20
hand.</STRONG></DIV>
<DIV><STRONG>I originally fabricated the spark plug adapter using=20
dimensions sent to me by other M owner.  Needless to say, it didn't=20
fit.  I had to machine the outside of the adapter until it would fit th=
e=20
inside of the ignitor hole.</STRONG></DIV>
<DIV><STRONG>I want to thank members of the list that provide me w=
ith=20
information.  It is great to have people who are willing to share=20
their information and experience.=20
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT lang=3D0 face=3DArial size=3D2 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" PTSIZE=3D"10"=
><B>Francis=20
Maciel<BR>Santa Maria,=20
CA</B></FONT></DIV></STRONG></DIV></DIV></FONT></BODY></HTML>