[SEL] replating fasteners?

Jerry Evans jerrye at databak.co.za
Tue Mar 28 11:14:46 PST 2006

At 07:00 PM 28/03/2006, you wrote:
>From: "Bill Dickerson" <bill at antique-engines.com>
>Subject: [SEL] replating fasteners?
>To: "'The SEL email discussion list'"
>         <sel at lists.stationary-engine.com>
>
>Anyone here have experience "replating" old or discoloured fasteners such as
>nuts, bolts, etc.?
>
>I think I heard something about a "kit" from Eastwood - what about doing it
>with parts and/or supplies on-hand?
>One thought is to use a PC power supply, but what about materials/chemicals
>involved?
>Thoughts?
>Bill
>Runnells, Iowa, USA

Hi Bill,
         This is not exactly "plating".
         If they were originally black what I do is as follows:
         Heat them to cherry red and dunk them in old used oil (oil drained
from a diesel engine is quite thin - especially if it missed an oil change
or two - and works well. Alternatively add a little paraffin to thin the
oil down). The item can then be "brushed" with a rotary wire brush and
gives a very nice black satin finish which lasts well and is fairly
resistant to rust.
         Points to remember:
         1) Getting the heat "just right" needs a bit of experimenting. Too
little and the oil is not absorbed and wire brushing just takes it off
again. Too much and you have to find a replacement part.
         2) Wear gloves - the first time I did this my hands were black for
almost a week - no amount of scrubbing helps. (I'm a Caucasian - my hands
are not normally black !!)

         Hope this helps.

Keep the revs up (or down)
Jerry Evans
Tel. (016) 365-5787 or 083 283 7191
Visit our website for old engines in South Africa.
www.oldengine.org/members/evans

---