[SEL] Clutch pulley on ebay

Paul Pavlinovich pjp at steamengine.com.au
Fri Mar 17 17:41:44 PST 2006

I suspect it is part of the armchair auction phenomenon - people will pay anything just so they don't have to get off
their fast expanding behind to actually do something! Ebay does drive prices up. Instead of say 3 people who actually
needed a pulley seeing it at Portland getting you $100, on ebay millions of people see it so the chances are more people
who actually want one will get a chance to have a go at it. Same at clearing auctions - if 10 people turn up, everything
goes for low prices, if 2,000 people turn up a pile of horse manure will fetch $$. I went to a friends clearing sale to
help out (I'd already bought my stuff before the auction) - the most ridiculous item I saw on the day was people bidding
thousands for fence posts that they had to pull out of the ground by the end of the next day - amazing.

Regards
Paul