[SEL] 1/2" - 12 threads

Glenn A Karch glenn.karch at gte.net
Sun Mar 12 18:28:50 PST 2006

OK Dave,

I will tell my story.  The other day I had a casting that needed to be
drilled and tapped for a set screw.  Since there was plenty of room, I
decided a 1/2" diameter screw would be fine.  I looked in my set screw
collection and found several nice square headed ones that should fit the
job.  I drilled a 27/64" hole and got out my 1/2" - 13 tap and put the
threads in.  I took a set screw and started it in but it only went about a
turn and a half.  H -mmmm.  I buffed the threads and tried again. NO luck.
I tried a different screw.  I ran the tap through the hole again.  Still no
luck.  I tried a wrench on the set screw and it only got tighter.  You know
where this is going now.  So -- I checked the threads on the set screw -
surprise - they were 1/2" - 12.  If I had known, I had a 1/2" - 12 tap in
the tool chest.  Anyway, I have seven very fine 1/2" x 12 an inch long if
anyone wants any.  I suspect that I saw them at a flea market and bought a
few and threw them in with the rest.  Such is life.

Glenn Karch
Haubstadt, IN, USA
Hercules Historian