[SEL] Is a Rare Engine Worth a Case of Good Beer?

Alan Bowen rustaholic777 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 7 13:17:01 PST 2006

Hey Arnie,

  I don't drink beer.
  So to me a case of ANY grade beer ain't worth two cents.

  Wanna phrase that a different way?

  Alan Bowen

Arnie Fero <fero_ah at city-net.com> wrote:
  Hiya Folks,

Interesting question, yes? So whaddya think? Would you give up the price
of a case of good beer to help save a rare engine from the scrapper's
torch? Allow this rare engine to be seen running in a museum rather than
being melted down to pig iron ingots shipped off to help China's economy
grow?

The need is URGENT. If the engine is to be saved it must be done in
April.

Have I got your attention? OK, read on...

Paul and Hazel Evans at the Internal Fire Museum in Wales need our help.
http://www.internalfire.com/

The following is the text of an appeal that was just sent out to the
Friends of the Museum. I have not cleared posting this appeal to the
lists with Paul, so if this offends you in any way, flame me, not Paul.

My request to the lists is this. We have over 400 members on the
Stationary Engine List and probably around 200 on the Old Engine List.
If one out of 4 or 5 donated the price of a case of good beer to the
Internal Fire Museum, Paul would have the funds that he needs to rescue
this engine. For those of us located outside the UK, the easiest way to
make the donation is to use PayPal via the Internal Power website.
http://www.internalfire.com/donate.php That way you can make the donation
in pounds and it goes into the Museum's accounts without bank fees or wire
transfer fees. I just sent my donation. It took about 30 seconds to do.

You can also use your regular PayPal payment process, sending money to
paul at semidiesel.com. Just make sure to select Pounds Sterling as the
currency.

Please consider helping to save this engine!! Thanks!!

See ya, Arnie

Arnie Fero
Pittsburgh, PA
fero_ah at city-net.com

Ruston 11HE Diesel
Rescue Appeal

At the New Years Day Crankup in 2005 discussions began regarding a very
special engine. A Ruston 11HE single cylinder diesel originally installed
at Taplow Repeater Station near Maidenhead. This is one of 10 made to a
special specification for the GPO and we think this is the only survivor.

This is a particularly lovely big single and has done very little in the
way of work. It still has the two direct coupled generators it drove at
Taplow and will make a superb and complementary exhibit at the museum.

This particular engine has special significance for me as it was the
engine that made me realise there were things other than large steam
engines that might interest me. I regularly assisted the engineer with its
monthly test-runs. Regrettably work and a house-move meant that when the
engine was offered I could not take it.

In 1987 I left Maidenhead and heard that the engine had been removed for
preservation later that year. I'd always wondered what became of it.

The engine has been stored in the open for some time but is still in
excellent mechanical condition just needing cosmetic restoration.

The challenge now facing the museum is that after protracted discussions
it must be moved by April 2006. We have already committed all our
available funds for the coming season and no grants are available.

We cannot therefore afford to move it without making this appeal, the cost
will be in the region of 2200 GBP. The engine has been donated to the
museum but must be moved before April or we will lose it.

We are conscious that, in addition to your memberships fees, many of you
have already made contributions of both time and money but felt that as a
"Friend of the Museum" you would want to be aware of the situation.

This is a unique opportunity and if you feel able to make a donation you
can do so through our website or preferably by sending a cheque made
payable to "Internal Fire - Museum of Power".

Many Thanks

Paul and Hazel
Tel: 01239 811212
Email: paul at semidiesel.com

---------------------------------
Yahoo! Mail
--0-1900566156-1141766221=:66351

 help.<BR>http://www.internalfire.com/<BR><BR>The following is the text of an appeal that was just sent out to the<BR>Friends of the Museum. I have not cleared posting this appeal to the<BR>lists with Paul, so if this offends you in any way, flame me, not Paul.<BR><BR>My request to the lists is this. We have over 400 members on the<BR>Stationary Engine List and probably around 200 on the Old Engine List.<BR>If one out of 4 or 5 donated the price of a case of good beer to the<BR>Internal Fire Museum, Paul would have the funds that he needs to rescue<BR>this engine. For those of us located outside the UK, the easiest way to<BR>make the donation is to use PayPal via the Internal Power website.<BR>http://www.internalfire.com/donate.php That way you can make the donation<BR>in pounds and it goes into the Museum's accounts without bank fees or wire<BR>transfer fees. I just sent my donation. It took about 30 seconds to do.<BR><BR>You can also use your regular PayPal payment process,
  sending
 money to<BR>paul at semidiesel.com. Just make sure to select Pounds Sterling as the<BR>currency.<BR><BR>Please consider helping to save this engine!! Thanks!!<BR><BR>See ya, Arnie<BR><BR>Arnie Fero<BR>Pittsburgh, PA<BR>fero_ah at city-net.com<BR><BR>Ruston 11HE Diesel<BR>Rescue Appeal<BR><BR>At the New Years Day Crankup in 2005 discussions began regarding a very<BR>special engine. A Ruston 11HE single cylinder diesel originally installed<BR>at Taplow Repeater Station near Maidenhead. This is one of 10 made to a<BR>special specification for the GPO and we think this is the only survivor.<BR><BR>This is a particularly lovely big single and has done very little in the<BR>way of work. It still has the two direct coupled generators it drove at<BR>Taplow and will make a superb and complementary exhibit at the museum.<BR><BR>This particular engine has special significance for me as it was the<BR>engine that made me realise there were things other than large steam<BR>engines that might in
 terest
 me. I regularly assisted the engineer with its<BR>monthly test-runs. Regrettably work and a house-move meant that when the<BR>engine was offered I could not take it.<BR><BR>In 1987 I left Maidenhead and heard that the engine had been removed for<BR>preservation later that year. I'd always wondered what became of it.<BR><BR>The engine has been stored in the open for some time but is still in<BR>excellent mechanical condition just needing cosmetic restoration.<BR><BR>The challenge now facing the museum is that after protracted discussions<BR>it must be moved by April 2006. We have already committed all our<BR>available funds for the coming season and no grants are available.<BR><BR>We cannot therefore afford to move it without making this appeal, the cost<BR>will be in the region of 2200 GBP. The engine has been donated to the<BR>museum but must be moved before April or we will lose it.<BR><BR>We are conscious that, in addition to your memberships fees, many of you<BR>have alr
 eady
 made contributions of both time and money but felt that as a<BR>"Friend of the Museum" you would want to be aware of the situation.<BR><BR>This is a unique opportunity and if you feel able to make a donation you<BR>can do so through our website or preferably by sending a cheque made<BR>payable to "Internal Fire - Museum of Power".<BR><BR>Many Thanks<BR><BR>Paul and Hazel<BR>Tel: 01239 811212<BR>Email: paul at semidiesel.com<BR><BR>_______________________________________________<BR>SEL mailing list<BR>SEL at lists.stationary-engine.com<BR>http://www.stationary-engine.com/mailman/listinfo/sel<BR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR><p>
		<hr size=1>Yahoo! Mail<br>
Bring photos to life! <a href="http://pa.yahoo.com/*http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=39174/*http://photomail.mail.yahoo.com">New PhotoMail </a> makes sharing a breeze.