[SEL] Info / Watch your $$

Judge Tommy Turner lcjudge at scrtc.com
Thu Jun 22 18:41:13 PDT 2006

Rob,
    The Federal Government as well as most states have a forfeiture
provision where the police agency that makes the confiscation may keep
the proceeds (money, vehicles, boats, planes, property, even antiques)
if they can prove the funds/items were received or used for illegal
purposes.  I'm only aware of a forfeiture in our part of the state via a
plea agreement where an individual admits that the money he was carrying
was from drug traffic, the vehicle he was driving was used or purchased
with drug money or the items (antiques, etc) were used as part of a
money laundering scheme.  Forfeiture (at least here) is difficult to
obtain as well it should be.

Tommy Turner
Magnolia, KY

>>I can see the very real possibility that some or all
>>the cash could be pocketed by an individual or group
>>of cops and the story would be "no judge, there was no
>>cash being carried by the individual" !
>>

>Hi Curt,
>In these parts, the department gets to keep a large portion
>of whatever they seize.  No B.S.  It's true.  Houses, cars,
>boats, planes, cash...

--------------070708060404010902060400

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
Rob,<br>
    The Federal Government as well as most states have a forfeiture
provision where the police agency that makes the confiscation may keep
the proceeds (money, vehicles, boats, planes, property, even antiques)
if they can prove the funds/items were received or used for illegal
purposes.  I'm only aware of a forfeiture in our part of the state via
a plea agreement where an individual admits that the money he was
carrying was from drug traffic, the vehicle he was driving was used or
purchased with drug money or the items (antiques, etc) were used as
part of a money laundering scheme.  Forfeiture (at least here) is
difficult to obtain as well it should be.  <br>
Tommy Turner<br>
Magnolia, KY<br>
 type="cite">
    <pre wrap="">I can see the very real possibility that some or all
the cash could be pocketed by an individual or group
of cops and the story would be "no judge, there was no
cash being carried by the individual" !
    </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->