[SEL] quick electrolysis question - cleaning galv parts

Curt curt at imc-group.com
Thu Jun 22 08:23:25 PDT 2006

Bill,
Out of curiosity, what brand engine is this that has galvanized fins on
it? Hot dip galvanizing is a lot of trouble to go to, especially if you
have to go to the trouble to keep it out of cored cavities in a high
volume production environment. It is galvanized and not just spray
painted that color right?
If you have just a little rust on the edges, how about removing the gunk
with some brush work and lacquer thinner. The use some Scotchbrite or
steel wool to remove the light surface rust.

I gotta galvanized question for the group too. Had to make a new battery
box top for Devin's engine a year ago as the original galvanized one was
missing. It looks like bling on top of the 74 year old aged galvanized
battery box. Has anyone experimented with artificially aging galvanized
tin to make it look like an original?
Curt Holland
Gastonia, NC