[SEL] quick electrolysis question - cleaning galv parts

Orrin Iseminger oiseming at moscow.com
Thu Jun 22 07:51:23 PDT 2006

-----Original Message-----
From: sel-bounces at lists.stationary-engine.com
[mailto:sel-bounces at lists.stationary-engine.com] On Behalf Of
bill at antique-engines.com
Sent: Thursday, June 22, 2006 4:59 AM
To: The SEL email discussion list
Subject: [SEL] quick electrolysis question - cleaning galv parts

Quick question for the science and metalurgy experts here........

I have a couple of parts off small air-cool engines that are galvenized -
I was wondering what the effect would be. They aren't really rusty -
although on is on an edge, and I thought maybe it would clean up that tiny
bit of rust and get the gunk off the finish - but then got to thinking -
would it also remove the zinc galvenizing, too?
Don't really want to remove that, it's part of the character of the parts.
Also wondered about using the process on a galvenized engine tank - a few
of the original tanks were galvenized.
I sort of suspect the joints might need to be resealed afterwards.

Thoughts?
Comments?

Bill
Runnells, IA - hey, we got a full tenth of an inch of rain!! WHOOO-HOOOO!
I've not seen wet pavement in weeks, literally.

Bill --

I just finished electrolytic cleaning of a galvanized tank for my son.  The
process didn't harm either the zinc galvanizing or the solder joints.

I've put a wide variety of metals into the electrolytic vat and as long as
they are connected to the negative lead to the power supply they have never
been harmed.  I've even used electrolysis to take the top layer of crud off
badly corroded brass.  It worked!

Right now I have  an ash pit door from an antique stove in the vat.
Originally, it was nickel plated.  Most of the nickel was flaked off before
throwing it into the de-rust tank.  Most of the rust came off right away,
except for down in the nooks and crannies.  So, I've left it in there for
about a week.  Now, after that long a period it appears as though the
electrolysis is lifting off the remaining bits of nickel.  It might have
been loose in the first place, for all I know.

It is what I wanted, but folks who want to preserve plating should be very
cautious.

Regards,

Orrin

Orrin Iseminger