[SEL] Re: Wauseon, OH

Judge Tommy Turner lcjudge at scrtc.com
Tue Jun 20 14:23:43 PDT 2006

Tom,
    I've been going to Denton since '83 and they've never charged.
However, the show is much more "commercialized" than most.  Actually, it
never began as an engine and tractor show.  It began as a fly in for a
local pilots group.  The first year (probably around 1970 or so) had
several planes and folks from the community stopped by.  The next year
there were many more planes and many more spectators.  After a few more
years it was decided that they needed to have something in addition to
the planes for people to view and a tractor and engine show was
suggested.  Gradually the engines and tractors became the main event
with planes taking second place.  The crowds then  became so big that
there was great concern that spectators could be injured with the
aircraft.  The fly in was discontinued and the engine and tractor show
remained.  The biggest negative that I hear about the Denton show is
Brown Loflin's wife who does her best to run as many people off as
possible.  Definitely not the personality that you need for a "front"
person representing the show.  There are a lot of negatives with Denton,
but there are some positives.  Its a good show for the family as there
is a lot to do.  Crafts, tractor pulls, peddle pulls, saw mill, veneer,
and other displays, running steam engines, an old time "town" that
contains several shops, stores, and displays from 100 years ago, a real
steam train that circles the entire show grounds, good country music
with often times names that you'll recognize, and other things as well.
I'm not trying to plug the show as its not for everyone, but its good
for others.  We'll be heading down next Wednesday.

Tommy