[SEL] 40hp 2 cycle Superior

Bob Willman blcksmth at wcnet.org
Thu Jun 8 16:48:21 PDT 2006

I bought a box of GEM magazines at an auction last a couple of weeks ago. In
the February 2003 issue is an article about a 40-60 hp Superior in Iowa. The
article states that this is a 40hp engine at 300 rpm, a 50 hp engine at 350
rpm and a 60 hp engine at 400 rpm. I find these specs a little hard to
believe. Three hundred rpm would scare the be-jesus out of me and I don't
even want to contemplate 400 rpm.
	It also states that this engine was made about 1920. It has a cast
iron crankcase housing. The catalogs that I have here lead me to believe
that the cast crank case did not come about until at least the 1930's.
	I have a 25hp Superior of the same design without the water pump and
without air start.
	Am I missing something or are the statements in the artice up for
question?

Also in that box of magazines was a sales brochure for a Huber H K tractor
in near mint condition. It was a good day!

Bob Willman
Bowling Green, Ohio
The Eagle's Anvil
WB8NQW