[SEL] blasting cabinet question - OT sort of

Steve W. falcon at telenet.net
Wed Jun 7 12:59:47 PDT 2006

Bill,
 I have a couple of HF blast cabinets. They are pretty much the same as
the rest on the market and have the same problem, the low end siphon
media guns are crap. They work OK but can be finicky with different
media types. I replaced both of mine with pressure feed hopper type
blasters and they now work good. You will want to connect up a good dust
collector to it so that you can see what is going on inside. Extra
lights are a good idea as well. Media wise I have one set of for
aggressive rust/paint/crud removal and run 150 grit Black Beauty
blasting media. The other is loaded with glass bead and gets used on
parts like aluminum and brass items. Then I have a smaller unit loaded
with plastic bead that I use on carbs and SOFT parts.
The HF units all seam to leak a bit around the doors, That can be taken
care of by adding an extra piece of weather strip inside the original so
it acts more like a double seal. I also sprayed the entire interior of
mine with a coat of white epoxy paint. Reflects the light better.

Steve Williams
Near Cooperstown, New York