[SEL] 2 ignition questions - FM 1.5

jbcast at charter.net jbcast at charter.net
Sun Jul 9 19:13:16 PDT 2006

> 2. To get the engine running for Waukee without the mag working, I made a
> wood block to fit in place of the mag and rigged a wire through the block to
> trip on the same pin that tripped the mag finger. This triggers one of those
> "buzz coils" made using a car coil and a "kit" (turns a car coil into a buzz
> coil). Makes for a real hot buzz coil setup.
> Anyway, it's wires like any other buzz coil setup, the system grounds when
> the wire contacts the roller/pin on the cam, however, I note that sparks fly
> from the wire and cam pin.
> I wonder - can that arcing be reduced or taken care of using a condensor?
> Would it still function?
> It sort of is a concern as should a bit of gas be in the area,
Bill, you can try a "clamping diode".  Find a diode, old alternator or Radio Shack. Install it between the wire and ground, use a test light to figure which way to put it. The diode should not flow current when in the circuit, won't light the light, reverse it if it does. The sparks are caused by reverse emf which is current flowing back the other way, if you have + hooked to the coil, the reverse emf will be coming back negative. The diode will flow the negative current to ground and prevent sparking.
J.B. Castagnos
Belle Rose, LA