[SEL] 2 ignition questions - FM 1.5

Bill Dickerson bill at antique-engines.com
Sun Jul 9 18:00:07 PDT 2006

Two items, one mag related, the other buzz ignition related.

1. The Bosch mag on my MF 1.5 hp mudpump has finally quit sparking. I think
it's an AB33 or something man I am getting old and can't remember stuff 8
hours any more. It runs via a trip finger on a pin/roller on the cam.
Who works on these - anyone recommend a GOOD mag person I can send this
Bosch mag to?

2. To get the engine running for Waukee without the mag working, I made a
wood block to fit in place of the mag and rigged a wire through the block to
trip on the same pin that tripped the mag finger. This triggers one of those
"buzz coils" made using a car coil and a "kit" (turns a car coil into a buzz
coil). Makes for a real hot buzz coil setup.
Anyway, it's wires like any other buzz coil setup, the system grounds when
the wire contacts the roller/pin on the cam, however, I note that sparks fly
from the wire and cam pin.
I wonder - can that arcing be reduced or taken care of using a condensor?
Would it still function?
It sort of is a concern as should a bit of gas be in the area,

Thanks.

Bill
Runnells, IA