[SEL] 3 Lunger lifts/lowers bridge

Richard Strobel Richard_Strobel7 at msn.com
Thu Jul 6 06:05:18 PDT 2006

> Hi Richard, lovely pictures. A few questions for you!
> Is the lift ever used these days?
> Does the engine house have a roof over it?
> Your picture 5 shows what seems to be the machinery uncovered
> but a different picture shows a wooden housing.
> I also have an interest in mechanical bridges.
> I have taken pictures of our now disused transporter bridge  at
> http://community.webshots.com/album/95425737UyEYME
> This moved rail cars across the river but horizontally.
> Also http://community.webshots.com/album/73689760ksBHbv
> This is where a canal section is swung to allow large sea going vessels
> to pass on the Manchester Ship Canal below.
> PS It seems that your lovely bridge has a twin sister! See
> http://www.lewisandclarkeasternmt.com/fairview.html

  Yes Dave, I've seen and was very impressed with the swing bridges over
there!!!

  Yes, the Snowden Bridge does have a twin sister in North
Dakota...downstream.  We did not go there.

  The last photos which show the engine/gearing/winch shed, I believe I got
some months back when I first learned of the Snowden Bridge.  Possibly
Library of Congress website or Montana Historical Society.  I don't
remember.  Understandably the engine and such would have been enclosed in a
wooden structure but it is all gone now, exposing the ole iron to the
elements.  Catwalks with iron rails are still there but the wooden walkways
are pretty much gone.

  We were impressed that this is one of the few where rail and auto traffic
were both utilized and up until 1986 was used as such and only closed off to
auto traffic due to liability.  I'm still getting a kick out of that.  I do
believe Amtrak Rail uses this bridge and traffic control could have created
a problem. <vbg>.

  Thanks for the links..I'm still looking for more info.

  Regards,
RickinMt.