[SEL] 3 Lunger lifts/lowers bridge

Dave Croft dave.croft at ntlworld.com
Thu Jul 6 05:42:32 PDT 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard Strobel" <Richard_Strobel7 at msn.com>
To: "sel" <sel at lists.stationary-engine.com>
Sent: Thursday, July 06, 2006 12:33 PM
Subject: [SEL] 3 Lunger lifts/lowers bridge

> Howdy all;
>   Just got back from a fine family re-union in N.E. Montana.  On the return
> trip we had to stop and gaze at the mighty "Snowden Bridge" constructed 1916
> by the Great Northern Railway to span the Missouri for rail and auto
> traffic, plus lift for the river boats.  This is one of the few vertical
> lift span Bridges left and is in use today, but only by the trains.
>   Counterweights are 350 ton each and I believe the engine might be a kero
> Buda..please correct me if I'm wrong.
>  Located near Fairview, Mt. in the eastern portion, it is a definite well  kept secret.
>  A fine example of "Whad They Use'm For."
>  Photo's at:
>  http://community.webshots.com/myphotos?action=viewAllPhotos&albumID=551997585&security=VLVAlo
>  Hope you enjoy  RickinMt.

Hi Richard, lovely pictures. A few questions for you!
Is the lift ever used these days?
Does the engine house have a roof over it?
Your picture 5 shows what seems to be the machinery uncovered
but a different picture shows a wooden housing.
I also have an interest in mechanical bridges.
I have taken pictures of our now disused transporter bridge  at
http://community.webshots.com/album/95425737UyEYME
This moved rail cars across the river but horizontally.
Also http://community.webshots.com/album/73689760ksBHbv
This is where a canal section is swung to allow large sea going vessels
to pass on the Manchester Ship Canal below.
PS It seems that your lovely bridge has a twin sister! See
http://www.lewisandclarkeasternmt.com/fairview.html
Dave Croft
Warrington
http://oldengine.org/members/croft/homepage