[SEL] From a newsgroup: ...cranking

John Hall jthall at worldnet.att.net
Thu Jan 26 17:36:16 PST 2006

Speaking from a tractor collectors perspective, you get used to "properly" a
crank. Even still I get nervous.

I had an IHC LB with the radiator setup (came off a hay blaer) The only way
to crank it was with the crank. It had a ton of compression. I made the
mistake of leaning back while turning and caused the crank to slip out.
Busted my glasses and took 10 stitches to sew my lip up. I still remember
the distinct sound of the crank connecting with my cheek-bone. Bottom line,
it way my fault.

I talked to a guy recently who had an old tractor to throw him behind it
when it backfired. Its not your normal tractor set-up with the crank in the
front. It was on a Titan with the engine mounted crossways and the crank is
about 4 foot in the air. So far I have been able to crank my Titan by
pulling on the flywheel. Takes all the strength I can muster but....

Personal opinion, I think cranks are dangerous. Use them if you have to but
make sure your enigne timing and so forth is as close to perfect as you can
get it. And don't get in a hurry and forget to something  important such as
retard the timing. Greasy hands are another not to intelligent idea.

John Hall