[SEL] Re: Sheet metal work

Andy Glines andyglines at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 13 13:40:05 PST 2006

>    2. Re: Sheet metal work (Richard Fink Sr)
     4. Re: Sheet metal work (Dave Rotigel)

>Message: 2
>Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 14:07:48 -0800
>From: Richard Fink Sr <nancydick at pennswoods.net>
>Subject: Re: [SEL] Sheet metal work
>To: The SEL email discussion list <sel at lists.stationary-engine.com>
>
>Andy an item you may try is called glazing compound. But you can't put it
>on thick and the metal needs priming first. It sands down very easy but you
>should use a board sander so you don't get dips in it. then prime over it.
>R Fink
>PA
>

>Message: 4
>Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 15:33:32 -0500
>From: Dave Rotigel <rotigel at alltel.net>
>Subject: Re: [SEL] Sheet metal work
>To: The SEL email discussion list <sel at lists.stationary-engine.com>
of surface prep is needed before application?

>Hi Andy,
>          The product that you want is Icing. It's a Polyester Finishing
>Putty marketed by USC. Like BONDO it's a two part mixture. Unlike BONDO it
>is ready to sand in 15 minutes (you only have about 5 minutes working time)
>and it sands VERY easily. It's also a LOT smoother than BONDO. You can put
>the stuff on up to 1/4" thick and it is (to some extent) flexible. Sand the
>tin and prime the metal prior to applying the Icing. If there remains LOTS
>of rust in the deeper pits you might consider using Extend (or some similar
>rust treatment) prior to the priming. the only place that I would not use
>Icing is where there will be extreme heat (as on a heat near an exhaust
>valve for instance.)
>          Dave
>PS, Icing comes in a 24 oz. tube and costs about $20.00. One tube (two at
>the most) will more than do your Oliver tin! You can buy Icing at any good
>auto paint store--hell they even carry it at several "cut-rate" auto supply
>stores here in PA!

Thanks to everyone for the helpful hints on my new project.  I was actually
thinking that this sheet metal might be a good candidate for the
electrolysis bath.  My tank should be large enough for most od the pieces.
This is delicate work for me.  I'm a little more at home with the Huber
steamer and unstyled tractors.