[SEL] PayPal Australia... your thoughts

Listerdiesel listerdiesel at gmail.com
Mon Jan 2 00:43:37 PST 2006

On 1/2/06, Adam Cottrill <adamcottrill at bigpond.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>                    I got this from PayPal yesterday does anyone forsee any "localised" issues? or is really just minnor name changes?
>
> thanks guys,
>                  Adam

PayPal originally only has a US-based service, but the rules and
regulations for other countries meant that it was unable to comply
100% with those rules if it was to remain only in the USA.

PayPal has since set up localised centres of operation that are
stand-alone as far as the local financial services regulations go, and
while the overall operation is still controlled by the US offices, the
local centre will comply with whatever is required by the host
country.

We had the UK setup a couple of years ago, and to be quite frank it
made no difference at all with what we saw or used. You will notice
that PayPal does not allow you to continue with the USA-based
operation once the Oz-based setup is running, unless you are resident
in the USA.

Overall, they are complying with the Australian financial regulatory
system, so no worries.

One benefit will be that the Australian ebay market will start to ramp
up, as the biggest thing holding it back has been the problems with
getting payment to ebay vendors in the local currency. PayPal started
offering $AU payments some time ago to us and the US, once the system
is working in Australia it will make life a lot easier.

It does NOT relieve you of the need to remain VERY vigilant about
transactions and payments however!

Peter
--
Peter A Forbes