[SEL] Member's Sites on Oldengine.org - IMPORTANT

Aenus McShite aenus_mcshite at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Feb 18 11:51:54 PST 2006

--- Listerdiesel <listerdiesel at gmail.com> wrote:

> While updating our own site today, I noticed that I
> had a new folder
> named "_vti_cnf" in my Oldengine main folder, and
> subsequently I also
> found one of these folders in every one of the
> subfolders on my site.

And Aenus replies:
It is a frontpage thing. See:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA011520671033.aspx
You might have to cut and paste if the word wrap gives
trouble with the url.
Or, read this, which is copied from the micro$soft
site:
FrontPage metadata is stored in hidden folders and
files
FrontPage-specific information is stored in hidden
folders and files that support FrontPage-specific
functionality. These hidden items are the FrontPage
metadata for your site. They are hidden to prevent
them from accidentally being deleted, changed, or
moved.

This metadata is what FrontPage uses to help you
manage your site. It is what makes managing the site
possible.

When Windows Explorer is configured to show hidden
files and folders, you can see the additional
FrontPage metadata folders, like the _vti_cnf folder
and the _vti_pvt folder.

The _vti_cnf folder contains information about every
file, such as which links are within the file and who
modified the file and when. The _vti_pvt folder stores
all of the configuration information for the site, for
example, which subsites are in the Web site and the
permission configurations for the site.

TTFN,
A.M.