[SEL] What's happening?

Jerry Evans jerrye at databak.co.za
Wed Feb 15 17:41:33 PST 2006

At 12:00 PM 15/02/2006 -0500, you wrote:
>In a message dated 2/14/2006 12:11:34 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
>dave.croft at ntlworld.com writes:
>I get to  that page but cannot see any photo's.
>I am in the same boat.  I can't find any pictures.
>Francis  Maciel
>Santa Maria, CA

Hi Guys,
         I get the Digest version of the SEL. The one I have just received
(SEL Digest, Vol 23, Issue 15) was fine up to the message above from
Francis (relating to my pages- I've fixed them and replied to everyone) but
thereafter everything was "all screwed up" - I'm talking about the actual
"coding" of the mail. Looks like someone sent a lot of HTML coded mail and
somewhere along the line it all got jumbled up. I'm just wondering if it
was the same for all the "Digest" recipients or was it just me?
         I picked up a few "snippets" from this. It seems Jeff Allen was
quite upset about something and made some rather unpleasant comments. As a
relative newbie to this list (it's been 2 years - when can I stop calling
myself a "newbie"?) I'm not keen to start passing judgements on list
members especially when I do not have all the facts.
         I'd just like to say that I've corresponded with Jeff in the past
and I consider him to be one of my "List Friends" and am not going to judge
him by the comments I read. We all have our  "bad spells". I've also had a
few and there are some list members who will not correspond with me as a
result - that is unfortunate but we are all individuals and I respect each
and every one of you even if you sometimes get "Grumpy" (as I also do).
         Having said that I also have to say that, if the comments I read
were actually from Jeff and they were actually meant to be "published",
then I feel the same way as many of you do. They were
made in bad taste and are not acceptable. I really hope that there is a
good explanation for them.
         I belong to this list as well as the "stationary engine list" as
many of us do and really love these lists and their members. I have learnt
so much from them and have been overwhelmed with the support, friendship
and help that I have had from the members (that is YOU GUYS).  It really
hurts when there are bad vibes on the lists - at the end of the day we are
all held together by a common interest and that is our affliction with
rusty old heaps of iron. Please don't let stupid things like computers and
eMail disruptions spoil the camaraderie that we share.
         To Spencer, we've never met or even corresponded, thanks for what
you do and what you provide for us. Yes - things do go wrong sometimes but
I'm sure that most of your members are very grateful for the FREE service
that you provide for us - it must take a fair amount of your time and
finances. What the hell - sometimes we take an engine to a show and it will
not start - do we throw a tantrum ? Maybe, maybe not, but it will start
next time  and we'll still love it.

Keep the revs up (or down)
Jerry Evans
Tel. (016) 365-5787 or 083 283 7191
Visit our website for old engines in South Africa.
www.oldengine.org/members/evans

---