[SEL] Re: Alamo piston pattern update

Curt curt at imc-group.com
Wed Feb 15 11:28:28 PST 2006

Dave Otto wrote:

>Hi Curt
>
>Thanks for the gate and riser tutorial; A couple more questions, the part
>called the sprue down button is located on the cope side of parting board,
>correct? What is its purpose? Will this be opened up to create the opening
>to pour into?

Dave,
This is one of the items I add because the books and the old foundry man
tells me I should. Truthfully I really don't understand why one can't
just pour direct in the riser which is open on top. Maybe Rick can
elaborate. I know one of the small Stickney patterns I made last year
has a simple riser and gate and the pour is straight into the riser. The
local foundry instructed me to do it that way. Maybe this only works on
small parts.....
Once rammed I understand the proceedure is to carve out a funnel in the
green sand just over this button and to punch a small diameter sprue
straight down into the top of this button. The metal then flows across
to the riser, thru the gate, and into the mold.

>>The riser on the cope side is 1 3/4" diameter at the parting board.
>>

>Don't you mean drag side? The cope side is 5" or am I missing something
>here?

I meant the cope side. Yes the cope side of this flask is 5" tall.
Incidentally the drag side is 4" tall on this flask set. So the riser is
1.75" where it hooks on the top of the parting board and tapers to a
smaller diameter in its' 5" height. The taper is roughly a 1/4"/ft. taper.

>I'm still waiting to find out what size to make the parting board? What size
>did you settle on?

The board wound up being 32 x 12 I think! Huge board and way overkill
for your Falk piston. I have offered to put the flask dimensions on CAD
and these drawings could be on the Tod Works site for reference. I'm
supposed to get flask dims for this Herc pattern I'm working on now and
since your Falk pattern is only about 2" longer maybe this same flask
will work for it. If so I'll email you the drawing of it today.

>I will let you know how the pattern splitting operation works out. I'm going
>to wait until I'm ready to mount it on the board to lessen the chance of
>warping or splitting of the wood. It is nice and dry but you never know.

Hey I noticed you chucked one end of your block in a 4 jaw chuck. How
did you assure that the center of rotation was dead on the parting
centerline? I gave up having sucess and ultimately made a tool that the
3 jaw chuck could hold and this tool is screwed to the end of the block
right on centerline. Even so, with the new tool I was off about .030 on
this last pattern (the Herc) I made over the weekend. I am going to have
to mill a little off one side and build up a little on the other to
compensate. Obviously I've still got work to do making a better tool.

>The Alamo is a way cool engine; it looks like a heavy beast for the
>horsepower.

Oh goodness it is a heavy beast! I will HAVE to put it on wheels despite
it originally being a skid mount. I simply have no way to move it around
otherwise. Hopefully all that mass will make a slow smooth running
engine. I have yet to see one at a show so have no clue how they run....

> The vertical flyball governor is also a nice feature.

Yes the 3 ball vertical governor and the walking beam that operates the
exhaust valve, ignitor, and fuel saver are the neat features of this
engine.

> Do you
>have all the parts or will there be more pattern making and casting work?

The engine was missing only 1 part, the latchout arm. With pictures Edd
Payne in Oz sent I was able to make a pattern and Rick cast it. That was
a tricky bit of machining, but it has been done several months now. I am
now waiting on a time slot with a local machineshop to bore the cylinder
on a Cinn Milcron horizontal boring mill to clean up the cylinder. After
that the fixture to pour the mains can be inserted in the clean and
straight bore and the mains poured. Once Rick casts the new piston I can
machine that and it will be assembly time. I've already rebuilt
everything else like valve cages, made oversize valve stems, rebuild the
water pump, made all new screws and studs, bushed and bored the conn.
rod, etc. I'm kind of at a standstill 'till I get the boring work done.

See ya,
Curt