[SEL] Welsh pithead now Larch tree,OT

Bill Boyce bboyce at swat.coop
Tue Feb 7 17:36:01 PST 2006

i grew up in a bois d'arc thicket, threw horse apples instead of eggs at
halloween, but never heard it called a Larch tree,,, learn sumpin new every
day !!!
another use of the osage orange was bow wood,,, it was VERY prized by the
native americans
in the south central US, they even had trade networks to move it around the
country,,,had a neighbor make a rifle stock from some of it, made a
beautiful stock,,,i have bois d'arc fence posts on my place that are 60 to
70 years old and still solid,, and i saw a rookie rancher build a branding
fire from some old posts that actually melted his branding iron !
bill boyce
lost prairie, arkansas

The "Larch Woodlands" - last shot, I believe - illustrates a tree very
different from what is known as larch on this side of the pond.  Our
larch is also known as bois d'arc (bo-dark), horse apple, hedge apple,
and osage orange.  It appears the usage of "larch" stateside may be
colloquial and local.

European larch:  http://www.2020site.org/trees/larch.html

North American larch:  http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/54097/