[SEL] Help request for a winter project

MBellar at aol.com MBellar at aol.com
Mon Dec 4 08:09:32 PST 2006

Hi List;

Several years ago I purchased a cement mixer with a Geo. Miller engine page
308 BRB  (Waterloo castings). The unit came with a mixer drum full of  aged
concrete and a complete but disassembled engine that had been exposed  to the
elements for a long time. I think that the previous owner concluded that  a
rebuild was a waste of time because too many shovels full of mortar mix  passed
onto and through the engine and not into the mortar mixer. I tried  to true-up
the pitted, oval cylinder with JB weld and replaced the  rings with rubber "O"
rings with fair success. The engine runs, and I have  become quite fond of it
and would like to show it, but I am not proud of my  half-arsed rebuild.
Several threads in the past have briefly mentioned  resleeving sleeveless engines.
I wonder if the List members would care to  describe their experiences in this
endeavor and perhaps suggest an  experienced shop near south west Ohio where
I can get a sleeve  fabricated and installed with a high probability of
success. The piston is 4"  long by ~4" OD and the cylinder is out of round and ~7.5"
to the igniter  hole. I don't know If the JB weld I placed in the cylinder
scores will  cause machining problems.

Tom Bellar SW Ohio