[SEL] De-rust chemical? Your thoughts.....

John Culp johnculp at chartertn.net
Sun Aug 13 17:11:36 PDT 2006

There's some no-phosphoric-acid Naval Jelly and copies out there. I
forget exactly what's in 'em, but an MSDS hunt would turn it up. What I
do know is that the stuff doesn't work nearly as well as the phosphoric
acid kind. In recent years, I couldn't get any sort of cleaning
compound containing phosphates here, due to U.S. environmental
regulations aimed at protecting the Tennessee River system from
eutrophication. Thus I ended up with some of this crud. Now, for some
reason, the phosphate kind's available again, so I dumped the
non-phosphate stuff and got the real thing.

Also, there's the interesting "Phosphate Free TSP," which is sodium
metasilicate. A.K.A. water glass. Comes in a crystalline powder, and
it's very strongly basic, so be careful with it. Not for derusting, but
it's good for the usual uses of TSP like cleaning concrete and brick,
removing nasty greasy crud, will precipitate hard water minerals out of
cooling water before they cause that hard scale on the inner cooling
system surfaces (it settles as a white clay-like substance), and will
kill poison ivy if you spray it straight on it. :-)

John

On Aug 13, 2006, at 7:43 PM, Bill Dickerson wrote:

> Is it any good?
> What's it cost?
> How does it work really?
> Anyone here use it?
>
> http://www.orisonmarketing.com/corrosion/evaporust/evapo-rust.html
>
> http://www.evapo-rust.com/index.php?
> option=com_content&task=category&sec
> tionid=4&id=21&Itemid=26
>
> I've seen it at swap meets, etc............... But wonder - how can it
> be
> "patented" if it's a simple chemical reaction?
> No acid?
> Totally safe?

John Culp
Bristol, Tennessee, USA