[SEL] Fuel pump repair.....

Curt curt at imc-group.com
Mon Aug 7 10:27:38 PDT 2006

Guys, here is a shade tree repair to get your fuel pump up and running.

I had a fuel pump in which the pair of checks valve didn't. The outlet I
was able to rehone and get sealing again by making a tool using a .50
diameter ball and welding a piece of 1/8" rod to it. Then using some
fine diamond lapping paste (15 micron and then 5 micron) and the tool in
a hand drill, lapped the seat to match the ball diameter. Testing with a
new ball showed it sealed nicely.

However, the input side seat was almost gone and the ball was almost
ready to drop thru the seat. Using a larger ball was not an option as it
would be larger that the cap threads over the ball. My first thought was
to fill it with Babbitt and recut the seat, but I had no Babbitt at the
house. So I decided to use electronics solder instead. First using a
small dremel tool I cleaned up the seat to make it brite so the solder
would tin to the brass body. The I made a wooden plug from a dowel that
would keep the solder out of the pipe threads underneath, and that would
keep the cavity under the ball open. This plug was tapped in.
A bit of flux was added, the body heated with the torch and the entire
seat area filled with solder to be flush with the seat. Once cooled, a
transfer punch tool was used to give a starting location. The hole was
drilled larger and larger in steps until about 5/16" diameter. Then a
1/2" drill was used just a little to form a crude seat. Then a 1/2" ball
was dropped in and then tapped with a brass rod and hammer. This formed
a perfect spherical seat in the soft solder. All the was done with hand
tools in a bench vise and was done in a half hour.

I haven't a clue how long the repair will last, but for now it is
working great and the pump seals and keeps up with the engine. Thought
you might want to file this one away in your bag of tricks so save an
otherwise shot fuel pump.....
See ya,
Curt Holland
Gastonia, NC