[SEL] Atkinson Engine / camless technology

Paul Pavlinovich pjp at steamengine.com.au
Sat Aug 5 22:29:38 PDT 2006

There are already quite a few camless engines around - Honda had one in the 1970's - trouble is when the computer failed
the default position for the valves was all open! Made a bit of a mess.

I've seen an engine design without cams that used slide valves opened by eccentrics - much like a steam engine. I'm not
sure how well the surfaces would stand up long term. This sort of technology disappeared from steam engines because the
large flat surfaces wore too quickly.

Regards
Paul

pjp at steamengine.com.au