[SEL] Nice Wheels/ cable plowing

Rob Skinner rskinner at rustyiron.com
Tue Aug 1 17:04:46 PDT 2006

On 8/1/06 10:22 AM, "Mike Tucker" <oldironnut at alltel.net> wrote:

> Something I'm curious about is all of the pictures that I've seen
> with the traction engine directly hooked to the plow, it's usually an
> 18 or 20 bottom plow.  But in the pictures that I've seen with the
> cable system the plow is a 5 or 6 bottom plow.  Is the cable system
> moving three or four times faster than the steamer could move or is
> the cable system just slower on a per acre basis?  I wonder what the
> difference in time would be for the 2 methods for getting to the next
> plow swath?
>
> Mike

Hi Mike,
I once asked a friend of mine, who does a lot of plowing, about just driving
the tractor faster.  I forget the exact answer, but basically it was, no,
you can't just drive faster.  But you also have to figure in extra labor and
extra machinery.

On the plus side, cable plowing rigs are infinitely cooler than conventional
plows.

Rob