[SEL] RE: Castings/now hot bulb engines

Patrick M Livingstone pml1 at bigpond.net.au
Thu Apr 27 19:21:48 PDT 2006

Hi Rob,
	I think you covered it all very well. The Austral & Blackstone
hot-bulbs are pretty much identical in operation as the Austral is
essentially a copy of the Blackstone (and can be debated as on improvement
on the design). The only real difference is the position of the timing valve
(on the Blackstone it is vertical and on the Austral horizontal) and the
position of the fuel valve (on the Blackstone it is on the side and on the
Austral on top). One little danger with these engines is the fuel valve. As
the engine governs on the non-opening of this valve prolonged exposure of
the valve spring to heat can lead to the excitement of the engine taking
off. I have seen this happen with both Australs and Blackstones and it is
heart-stopping. Australs are supposedly less prone to this problem by the
valve being on top and further away from the lamp.
Patrick

Patrick M Livingstone
Leichhardt NSW
http://www.oldengine.org/members/pml/Index.html