[SEL] Metal building

Judge Tommy Turner lcjudge at scrtc.com
Wed Apr 26 17:47:38 PDT 2006

Ron,
    Good points made by Jimmy.  Inquire about a walk in door (they may
want to charge you $1000 to add one).  Also ask what gauge metal is
being used and as Jimmy mentioned, ask what sort of rust, fade, and
"chalking" guarantee is included with the metal (most "good" metal now
has at least a 20 year warranty).  One important thing  is to make sure
the building comes with an engineers stamp regarding wind load .  If it
doesn't have the proper wind load rating, you may not be able to insure
it.  There are wind load ratings for certain areas of the country (in my
location its 70 mph minimum) and your insurance agent or possibly an on
line search can get it.  After the tornado I purchased an all steel
building from KY Steel Truss Buildings that measures 64 x 126.  It cost
me a little under $50 K delivered to my place.  But, I had much more
(too much I think) in it when it was finally standing.  I'll get it paid
for one of these days (thats why I made sure it had a 20 year warranty
on the metal).

Tommy Turner
Magnolia, KY