[SEL] Pouring castings at the Tod Engine Works Class.

Curt curt at imc-group.com
Tue Apr 25 03:53:35 PDT 2006

Dave,
Glad you enjoyed. Yes the green sand is reused. Core sand is not as it
is a catalyzed sand (linseed oil and some catalyst).
Yes the muller breaks up clods of used sand and mixes in the water and
clay you add to give the correct consistency.
Proper green sand will stay in a shape that you squeeze with your hand.
Too little water and clay and the mold falls apart. Too much water and
the castings will have too much porosity/gas defects.
You'll find this interesting. I designed the core print on our
patterns/coreboxes to be the same length as the distance the core is
cantilevered into the mold. This worked well for 2 of the 3 molds.
However, on the 3HP Hercules piston, the weight of the cantilevered
portion of the core was greater than the weight of the core print. This
resulted in a tipping of the core in the cavity, rather than resting
neatly in place. I thought I had screwed that pattern up! Clever Rick
calmly broke off a piece of Styrofoam and placed it in the mold to
support the core long enough to set the cope flask on. The Styrofoam
vaporizes instantly when the metal hits it. I thought this was a pretty
clever solution to one of those "oh shit" moments.

I am learning some new 3D software (SolidWorks) and one of its features
is that it will tell you the center of mass of a 3D shape. You can bet
this will be something I use when designing future patterns, assuring
the center of mass falls within the boundaries of the core print, rather
than in the mold space. Live and learn!

Curt Holland
Gastonia, NC