[SEL] Pouring castings at the Tod Engine Works Class.

Curt curt at imc-group.com
Mon Apr 24 10:31:13 PDT 2006

Well folks I'm here to tell you that a trip to the Tod Engine Works is a
fun and educational day! Wednesday after work I departed for Ohio and
got about 7 hours of the 10 hour drive done. Found a local State Park
about mid way up in Ohio and slept in the bed of the truck under the
stars. Great sleeping weather there as the air is still dry and brisk
this far north. Was up early and arrived at Rick's place at 11:00.
Got the grand tour of the neat 100 year old building and looked at his
mullers, furnace, MG set, ramming lines, and pattern storage area.
We began the day by mixing no bake core mold sand in the small muller
and filling all the coreboxes. These were set in the sun to expedite the
curing. After a couple of hours they were dropped out of the coreboxes
and another batch of core sand was mixed and the coreboxes filled again
for the other halves.
Then we mulled green sand and rammed several patterns.
Pig ingots were loaded in the furnace and a heat was begun. 3/4 of the
way into the heat, a rubber fitting failed on the water cooling system
and a major leak was underway. We nursed the furnace back to safe
temperatures, and took the heat exchanger out of the loop for repair. A
trip to Lowes and we got the necessary copper fittings to make the more
permanent cooling loop. A few hours later and this was complete and we
were ready to heat again. But hunger pains were stronger than the drive
to pour, so Rick's (very supportive) wife joined us for dinner at a
local steak place. We were now properly fueled for the long evening ahead.
It takes about 2 hours to heat a cold furnace and contents to be ready
for pouring. So about 11:00 the first mold was poured. This was the
large Alamo piston and it took all we had melted to fill it, roughly 50
pounds.
The second heat took about 45 minutes, and we poured the double 1 1/2 HP
Hercules pistons, and a single 3HP Hercules piston. We were done at
about 1:00 in the a.m. and we were beat. Whew I'm not used to those late
hours anymore!
We agreed to meet the next morning at 9:00 and we broke the castings out
of the flasks. The risers and gating were broken or cut off the castings
and they were ready.
Unfortunately Missy needed the digital camera for a scouting trip so I
was unable to take any pictures, so this tale will have to suffice.
But if you are up for a fun day in the foundry you should all consider
signing up for Rick's Foundry class before he gets so busy that he will
no longer have time for these classes. The proceeds all help him with
getting the foundry into full production and with the reassembly of the
Tod Engine.

I was back home Friday evening and on Saturday began machining on the
Alamo piston. I'll post a picture of it when it's done.
Curt Holland
Gastonia, NC