[SEL] Making spark plug parts.

Frank DeWitt Frank at lbpinc.com
Wed Apr 19 19:43:18 PDT 2006

Hi John.
If you are taking Corning Macor it is machinable but just,  Find out
all you can about how to sharpen tools for it. and how to machine it
before you begin. If at all possible, visit a shop that has done
it.  If not you will want to do a little machining on a small scrap
to get used to it.  Use LOTS of coolant.

BTW  You might want to look at castable ceramics as well, actually a
ceramic rich Epoxy.

Praise God

Frank

I got one for you. I need to rebuild
some rather expensive sparkplugs to have for spares. They are built
originally using Mica tubes and washers for insulators. Anybody come up with
a more modern material you prefer for rebuilding plugs/igniters? I found
some machinable ceramic but it ain't cheap!! My biggest concern when
choosing an alternative material is that I don't know how much heat I need
to withstand. Anybody have any idea how hot it gets inside the combustion
chamber of a "working" engine?

John

HONOR GOD
SERVE PEOPLE
DEVELOP EXCELLENCE
GROW PROFITABLE
FOLLOWING BIBLICAL PRINCIPLES

    Frank DeWitt              |  mailto:frank at lbpinc.com
    Mechanical Design      |  Phone:  585 624 3052
    LBP  INC.                   |  Fax     585 624 1038
    2365 Cox Rd.              |     N 42.9130  W
77.5164|
    Bloomfield NY 14469   |Web   http://www.lbpinc.com