[SEL] Decking for trailer

Germoamer at aol.com Germoamer at aol.com
Tue Apr 18 18:16:12 PDT 2006

In a message dated 4/18/2006 3:26:13 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
garyepps at fidnet.com writes:

<<   What is the preferred
 decking material? >>

Gary,

I replaced 2 trailer decks last year.  I used treated 2x8.  The biggest
problem is you can beat the boards in with a sledge hammer to make them absolutely
tight side to side, and then shrinkage sets in so you end up with gaps. And if
not bolted down a couple of places on the length, they can warp up too.  This
would even be worse with green oak. If a person had the time and clamps, it
would be nice to purchase straight 2x8, lay them on edge and clamp together
with lots of clamps.  Stick them in a garage to dry out and shrink, then install
them. Who has that time??

Tom Schmutz
Concord, Va. USA
Germoamer at aol.com