[SEL] Decking for trailer

Larry Evans lfevans at pacbell.net
Tue Apr 18 18:02:53 PDT 2006

Gary,
The wood Rex is referring to is Apitong.  My brother has a trailer that we
decked with apitong planks that were salvaged from a railway box car.  They
are over 2 inches thick and about 5 inches wide and are tongue and
groove.  Being old wood there was no shrinkage and it has held up over the
years quite well.  Tale a look at:
http://www.oldengine.org/members/levans/trailer/
to see what it looks like.

Regards,
Larry

At 04:15 PM 4/18/2006, you wrote:
>Gary ;
>   The treated  wood or oak would be the least expensive but if you are
> going to drag things on and off you floor it would be prone to gouging
> and wearing , steel sheet  would be more durable but the price and added
> weight maybe minus , the best flooring I have used is called Appaton (not
> sure if I spelled it right ) we use it on our semi flatbed trailers and
> dry vans and most semi trailers use it , it is imported and
> expensive  but will take all the abuse you can give it , it lasts about
> 15 years on our flatbeds , if you have any trailer manfuracturing plants
> near you call them and check the price  , Just a thought and maybe overkill
>
>Rex Hinz

Larry Evans
Arcadia, Southern California, USA
MailTo:LFEVANS at pacbell.net