[SEL] Spam/Phish> Hot Tube Size ?

Arnie Fero fero_ah at city-net.com
Tue Apr 18 09:44:39 PDT 2006

Hi Folks,

One of this summer's projects is converting a 1-1/2 hp IHC "M" to run on
propane with hot tube ignition.  Since I hate to reinvent the wheel, does
anyone have any suggestions on a suitable hot tube length to start with?

I'm thinking along the lines of 1/8" or 1/4" Schedule 80 black pipe for
the experiments, switching to stainless steel once I settle on a length.
Maybe 4" long to start with?  ISTR that some folks building their own hot
tubes tapped the end of the nipple for a suitable screw then welded or
brazed the joint.  Any comments on hot tube construction?

Finally, does anyone have a nifty home-made burner / chimney design that
they would care to share?

One of the inspirations for this project was the hot tube Suffolk Colt
engine that Jim French built after being similarly inspired by a hot tube
Briggs & Stratton at Portland 2005.
http://www.oldengine.org/members/dolly/htsc.htm

Thanks folks!!

See ya,  Arnie