[SEL] Babbitt pouring question for an Alamo engine.

Judge Tommy Turner lcjudge at scrtc.com
Mon Apr 17 07:52:26 PDT 2006

Curt,
    I have poured some bearings but I'm sure there are others that have
a great deal more experience and can give you better advice.  On smaller
engines (6 HP or less), I've poured both the top and bottom at the same
time.  I do this by laying the engine base on its side with the shaft
perpindicular to the ground.  I've used the Babbittrite putty to build
around the shaft to seal it off on the bottom side and use it to make a
dam around the top.  I then heat the shaft base a bit (not real hot
though) and pour it.  I usually make my shims out of asbestos gasket
material for the pouring purpose.  I've had good luck doing it this way.

    On larger engines, I've cheated a bit.  I make (or purchase if its a
standard size) brass bushings that fit the shaft perfectly.  I then mill
out about an 1/8 inch on each side attach them to the shaft with 1/8
asbestos gasket material between the halves. I use a real fine brass
wire to hold it all together.  I then place them in the frame of the
engine and level the base so that the break line of the bushing half is
parallel with the floor.   I use some jack stands I have with a small
screw jack on top to position the crank (or shaft)  properly.  I should
mention that I also tin the brass halves with solder after I split them
in order for the babbitt to adhere to the brass.  I then dam them up
with Babbittrite and pour and. I heat the item a bit bit putting a
little heat on the frame of the engine and the shaft.  However, if I'm
pouring in a base that has some original paint and don't want to damage
it, I've poured them cold and haven't noticed a significant issue by
doing this.  I pull the top half off, scrape or file the babbitt flush
on the sides of the bushing (between the bushing and the base), place in
my asbestos shims and pour the top half.  This sounds a lot more
complicated than it actually is.  If you account for the time you use
scraping and fitting the crank to the babbitt bearings, the way I've
done it is actually faster I think.  One good thing about using the
brass halves, they give you a great bearing surface and are all polished
up and ready to use not long after pouring the babbitt.  I've been long
winded here but thought I would share this with you.

Tommy Turner
Magnolia, KY