[SEL] Babbitt pouring question for an Alamo engine.

Curt curt at imc-group.com
Mon Apr 17 07:07:30 PDT 2006

Guys,
So far all the babbitt I have poured is lowers. The Alamo I am working
on will need the lowers poured and have melted them out. Looking at the
uppers leads me to think they should be redone as well. I haven't melted
them out yet.
Have mostly completed the fixture to pour the lowers, but I have a
question for you experts on how to do the uppers. I am planning on
pouring the lowers around a dummy piece of 2" TG&P. Preheating the dummy
shaft and the engine base/bosses is fairly easy when doing just lowers.
But how does one heat the dummy shaft if doing the upper at the same
time? I see how the upper could be poured thru the greaser hole. How
will the lower cavity be poured at the same time when metal tight
dams/shims are in place between the uppers and lowers? I thinking both
would be poured at the same time??? Or are the uppers poured first, then
the caps removed and the lowers poured later???
I really need some good advice here!
Curt Holland
Gastonia, NC