[SEL] Best method for cleaning engine crud?

Judge Tommy Turner lcjudge at scrtc.com
Mon Apr 3 11:59:22 PDT 2006

Curt,
    Hey, a little grease and grim gives it the "original" look.
Seriously, I use oven cleaner quite a bit with good results.  Its cheap
as well.  I wouldn't recommend the dip tank as it will remove everything
(at least the chemicals that I have had used on some stuff of mine).
Those nice "pores" in the cast iron that now have some grease, paint,
etc that give it the original look will be cleaned out and it will look
like a new piece of cast with the dip tank.  I don't think thats the
look you want.  I'd suggest the oven cleaner and a stiff brush to rub on
the extra heavy stuff.  Watch the oven cleaner though as it will burn ya
if it gets on your skin.  Especially make sure none of it splashes in
the eyes.

Tommy Turner
Magnolia, Ky