[SEL] Fairbanks Morse ZD Head Repair Information Needed

John Culp johnculp at chartertn.net
Sun Sep 25 11:01:21 PDT 2005

I had to remove some J-B Weld that had been applied to a cylinder wall
to fix wrist pin gouges and hadn't been properly smoothed down. It
looked good, but the high spots kept the rings from sealing. I got it
out with a propane torch, but I had to get it HOT before it weakened
and softened. Finally got chalky and could be chipped and brushed out.
I was starting to worry about cracking the cylinder wall with the
intense heat. When I replaced it afterward, I figured out a better way
of getting a really smooth, level surface. Instead of rolling the
surface of the fresh J-B Weld down smooth with something like a can (as
I'd seen recommended on here), I applied it, let it thicken up for a
few minutes, then took a piston ring, oiled it so the stuff wouldn't
stick to it, and pushed it straight down the bore with the lightly
oiled piston till it popped out the other end. Instant perfectly smooth
bore surface!

In a "hot" head with no water jackets, the J-B Weld might get hot
enough to break down. But I don't think it will in a combustion chamber
wall adjacent to cooling water.

John Culp
Bristol, Tennessee, USA