[SEL] semi - ot lock washer questions for engineers

Germoamer at aol.com Germoamer at aol.com
Sat Sep 24 05:41:39 PDT 2005

In a message dated 9/24/2005 12:43:06 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
rskinner at rustyiron.com writes:

<< If you break out your Machinery's Handbook, you'll see that proper
practice is
 to bevel the underside of a nut.  So a flat-bottomed nut is really just
shoddy
 engineering.   >>

Rob,

Not sure what version of Machinery's Handbook you are referring to, but my
17th  edition with pictures of square bolts/nuts notes the flat surface on the
underside.  Going one step further, the British square bolt/nut standards in
the same book call the "flat surface" ones "full bearing" which would lend one
to believe that the flat surface of the bolt/nut was to be in contact with the
surfaces being joined.  However, I will have to agree with Curt that the
rounded surface of the nut makes for easier/neater contact on the tapered channel
iron legs.

Tom Schmutz
Concord, Va. USA
Germoamer at aol.com