[SEL] Abenaque engines

Curt curt at imc-group.com
Tue Sep 20 11:15:16 PDT 2005

Things seem a little slow on the lists so here is something for
entertainment:

Every once in a while I will pull the cylinder head off of the 6 HP
Abenaque and give it a cleaning. In preparation for our 3 day Cotton
Ginning Days show I pulled the head off to remove carbon. Would you
believe I scrubbed 2 full cups of carbon out before it was clean!
Last time I did this I did not have a digital camera, so this time I
took a few pictures and thought you might enjoy seeing a couple of neat
features of Abenaque engines.

http://www.oldengine.org/members/holland/images/Abanaque/CylinderHead002.jpg
Shows the top of the cylinder with the intake valve on the right and the
exhaust on the left. Pretty good design in that you can fill the engine
with all kinds of gas and oil and it will simply drain out the valves to
clear itself.

http://www.oldengine.org/members/holland/images/Abanaque/CylinderHead003.jpg
This view shows the fuel injector just below the cylinder. Fuel is
injected into the heated manifold below the cylinder where it vaporises
and waits for the next intake stroke. You can also see the ornate rocker
arms that operate both the intake and exhaust valves off of the side shaft.

http://www.oldengine.org/members/holland/images/Abanaque/CylinderHead005.jpg
It's a bit hard to see but the cylinder head has a hemi shape to it with
the mag/ignitor sitting in the middle.

The patents on this engine are listed as 1898. I think it is pretty neat
that engineer John Ostenburg designed features like fuel injection and
hemispherical combustion heads this early in the engine era.

Hope you've enjoyed these.
Curt Holland
Gastonia, NC