[SEL] IHC cart wheels

Curt curt at imc-group.com
Tue Sep 13 04:55:33 PDT 2005

Over the last couple of weekends I've been sandblasting and painting a
set of old IHC wheels and axles to go under my Abenaque engine. The
wheels I had under it were temporary and too small to roll without a LOT
of effort.

These old style IHC wheels are what I call knobby wheels. In otherwords
where the spokes enter the hub there is a heavy knob at each spoke
intead of the newer zig zag style hubs.

On each wheel is one odd shaped knob that is cast with a hole about 1/4"
in diameter. I'm guessing this is for lubricating the wheel without
having to take it off???

I accustomed to greasing wheels with, uhh grease. But there is no way
one is going to get grease in this hole! Did IHC just intend a farmer to
use his oil can on this? Or was some kind of grease gun (with a rubber
tip?) supplied? All this predates zerk fittings.
No big deal.....just curious.....

It is interesting that IHC addressed lubrication on the older knobby hub
style wheels. But I don't recall seeing any lubrication provisions on
the newer style zig zag hub style wheels.
Curt Holland
Gastonia, NC