[SEL] Le Roi engine info - RESTART

Jerry Evans jerrye at databak.co.za
Sun Sep 11 20:21:02 PDT 2005

Hi Again The List,
	I posted the following yesterday but something must have gone wrong - my
message had bits missing and was cut short so you did not get the links to
the pics of the engine.
	If I had read a post like this I would have thought the writer was an
idiot - I've checked my original and it is correct so really do not know
what went wrong - words missing - words cut short and the letter suddenly
ends in mid sentence. It was not even a VERY long post or I would have
thought it had been shortened.
	Also the SEL digest only reached me this evening - about 5 hours later
than usual.

	I got 1 reply from Alan Bowen but lets start all over again and take it
from here.

Here follows the original post:
Hi All,
	Recently Larry Evans posted re his Le Roi engine and Luke Tonnenberger
also has one.

	I have come across a Le Roi that I may buy if I can find out a bit more
about it. Have spent about 2 hours with Google and only saw 1 pic of a
similar engine and it was described as a "flathead" on Richard Strobels
Webshots page.

	The one I have found has the following on the specplate (which is quite
indistinct and I looked at it in a dark room so could not read everything)
	VRP1
	1/2  27/8
	238408

	It is a 2 cyl. vertical and has a fan for a radiator (missing radiator)
and in the pics the timing cover is removed (but it and all the other parts
are there in a box). It also has a 4 cyl. "American Bosch" magneto which I
think must have been added sometime (although the one I found on Richard
Strobel's Webshots also has a 4 cyl mag). It appears to have been flooded
(with water that is) at some stage and is siezed solid so would need quite
a bit of work.

Pics are here:
http://www.oldengine.org/members/evans/leroi 1a.jpg
and here:
http://www.oldengine.org/members/evans/leroi 2a.jpg

	I would like to know as much as possible about it such as : Age, H.P. ,
where were they used?, Is it worth restoring ? etc. Any info appreciated.

	It is the only one I have seen so far in South Africa but then I have not
been involved in this crazy hobby all that long.

Best wishes
Jerry Evans in South Africa

---