[SEL] Lister Engines

Andy rustyiron at bigpond.com
Thu Sep 8 15:22:17 PDT 2005

Hello All, I need some help? I've just got onto a Lister petrol engine, but
I'm not to sure what it is. I think it's a Hopper cooled Lister A or B. How
do you tell? The engine tag has  ENG No. :- 274598,  Spec:- A3OHC, RPM:-
700, HP 3 3/4. I've checked out Patrick's photo's
(http://www.oldengine.org/members/pml/ri05/ri050277.JPG) the one on the left
is the closest looking, and had a look at Peter's Lister site. It has 3 1/4"
wide flywheels, engine No.s both stamped on them, and under this No. it has
a No. 1 on one and No.2 on the other. The overall hight is 31 1/4" tall,
from base to top of hopper. Every thing was bolted together and turns over,
but there is no compression. The Carbie/Mixer is over the Magneto and
Exhaust is over the Fuel tank, going by the pictures this is incorrect, I
under stand that previous owners can do wonderful things. Looking at the
governor linkages, they look correct, but I think them may be moved around
to operate on the other side of the engine, except for a very long "Oiler
tube" to the Crankshaft bearing which would interfere with the linkage. Is
this "Oiler tube" incorrect? although the manual I have shows it as being
long. The governor linkage must miss this "oil tube"? Turning the engine
over (Anti-clock)by the Valve side flywheel indicates the valve timing is
correct but the Carbie/Mixer on that side will have to be changed over.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks....

Andy Nicholson
Exmouth W.A.